Now is the time we are working diligently like ants. We prepared this awesome recipe for those who can’t even spare time for their meals. It is super simple, yet made with ingredients full of abundant nutrients. Let’s nurture ourselves with these healthy rice balls and keep up the non-stop working for the world!
This rice ball is also great for kids and you will have so much fun making it. Everyone will fall in love with this simple-yet-delicious rice cuisine.
*For the different appetites, we made three versions of rice balls: Spicy and sweet red-pepper-paste-beef rice ball, tender and mild avocado cream cheese rice ball and the you-can-never-go-wrong mayo tuna rice ball
-Rice ball main ingredients : 4 small bowls of short-grain white/brown rice, cooked (which makes about 7 balls), 1/2 red bell pepper, 1/3 green bell pepper, *yellow pickled radish, 2 tbsp. of black sesame seeds, 1/2 tsp. of salt and 1 tsp. of sesame seed oil
-Sweet and Spicy Beef rice ball: 1 fistful of ground beef, 2 tbsp. of *red chilly pepper paste, crushed garlic, 1/4 onions unchopped, pepper, sesame seeds, 1/2 tbsp. of sugar
-Cream Cheese Avocado rice ball: 1/4 avocados, 2 tbsp. of cream cheese, 1 tbsp. of chopped small green onions/cilantros, 1/3 tsp. of salt
-Tuna mayo rice ball: 1/2 tuna can, 1 1/2 tbsp. of mayo, 1/2 tbsp. of chopped onions, 1 tsp. of crushed garlic, 1/3 tsp. of salt, 1/3 of pepper
*You can buy yellow pickled radish and red chili pepper paste in Korean or Asian grocery markets. They are very easy to find
1. Make sure cooked rice is not too moist/watery. ( Rice tastes better when you cook with the 3-4 pinches of salt)
2. Chop red and green bell peppers, and yellow radish into a similar size as the black sesame seeds.
3. Combine 1 and 2 into a bowl, add 2 tbsp. of black sesame seeds, 1/2tsp. of salt and 1 tsp. of sesame seed oil and mix them well.
<Sweet and spicy beef>
1. Squeeze ground beef with the paper towel to get rid of residual blood
2. Put the ground beef into the bowl with pepper, crushed garlic, chopped onions and sugar.
3. Heat frying pan on high heat and stir-fry beef.
4. Reduce heat to mid-low, mix red chili pepper paste, and continue stir fry gently.
5. Remove from the pan and let it cool down.
<Cream Cheese Avocado>
1. Prepare cream cheese in room temperature, and dice avocado into cubes about 1 x 1 x 1 cm. (.39 x .39 x .39 inches)
2. Mix cream cheese, avocado, small green onion/ cilantro and salt altogether in a bowl.
<Tuna with Mayo>
1. Remove tuna from the can and squeeze it to drain
2. Mix mayo, tuna, chopped onion, salt and pepper altogether in a bowl.
<Time to make rice balls>
1. Make rice into a ball (6 – 7 cm. in diameter) (2.3 – 2.7 inches in diameter)
2. Press the center of rice ball with the finger to make a space.
3. Place your favorite flavor into the space
4. Close the top of rice ball thoroughly. Add small pinches of rice if needed. And keep pressing the rice balls firmly into a ball shape.
5. Help yourself!
Original Recipe by: Helena Chen Photo by: Jazzy Lin